Pastéis de Nata


They are everywhere, in all the shelves, in all the cafés and bakeries.

Are they all good Natas? Not all of them… Some are dry, pasty or to liquid, the pastry can be sometimes too hard, too soft or too sweet…
Are there good Pastéis de Nata? Of course… The “ Fábrica das Nata” or the “Manteigaria”, produce perfect Natas.

Are they better than the famous “Pastéis de Belém”? To my taste…Yes they are better! The famous “Pastéis de Belém” are very tasty when they are served warm, but after becoming cold the enchantment goes away, and the pastry hardens.

During Walking Tours, we make a coffee-break, and I offer my clients one Nata and a fresh drink.
Witch are the “Pastéis de Nata” that I prefer? Normally I stop at a local café called “The world needs Nata” at “Rua das Flores”. It´s not a beautiful trendy place, it doesn’t have the charm of some beautiful local cafés around the Historic City centre, but it serves its purpose: the “Pastéis de Nata” are served warm, the filling is deliciously creamy, slightly toasted, and the puff pastry is crispy and light. For the perfect moment you can sprinkle the Nata with cinnamon powder…

I also discovered at this café, their homemade ice tea: mixed ice tea with orange juice, cinnamon and secret ingredients. Fresh and sweet!

All my clients till now, loved this coffee- break for Natas. Some of them taste their Natas with coffee or a Cappuccino, but for me...I always ask for a Nata and a fresh home-made ice tea…


Comments

Popular Posts